Animators are god? Meet them in person and decide for yourself when Oxberry Pegs Presents the “Animators are God?” Series at Observatory, co-hosted by GF Newland and Trilby Schreiber.
From time immemorial, some mere mortals have sought to play God! They have “pursued nature to her hiding-places” like a bunch of Dr. Frankenstein’s, driven by a bold desire to create life. They are the Animators, and somehow, they have done it, but how? How do they do it? How will they do it in the future, if any, and for God sake’s why??? For answers to these and other questions, don’t miss a night of this scintillating series of lectures, screenings, and presentations by the gods themselves! From Winsor McKay to Ren and Stimpy, the Golem to video games, automata to Avator, phantasmagoria to animatronics, Pygmalian to puppet theatre, this series will examine the ways in which animators play god, (with a little g).
- Signe Baumane, Animator; Thursday, July 15
- Kevin Brownie of Beavis and Butthead, SNL TV Funhouse
- Bob Camp of Ren and Stimpy; Friday, July 9
- Jonny Clockworks of the Cosmic Bicycle Theatre
- John Dillworth creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog; Friday, June 3
- Joanna Ebenstein on The Golem
- Ted Enik Children’s book Illustrator on Character Evolution and Cultural Pollution; Friday, June 25
- Tryrza Goodeve, Animation from Eastern Europe; Monday, August 30
- Eric P. Nash, Manga Kamishibai: The Art of Japanese Paper Theater, 1930 to 1960, Monday, August 23
- Nina Paley creator of Sita Sings the Blues; Thursday, July 1
- Jimmy Picker, Academy Award winning clay animator, 1983; Saturday, May 29
- Bill Plymton showing his new film The Cow Who Wanted to be a Hamburger; Date TBA
- Trilby Schreiber, Get Animated! The History, Future and Techniques of Animation, Monday, August 16th
- R. Sikoryak, Masterpiece Comic and Cartoon Parodies; September 23
- Debra Solomon, Co-creator of the Disney Channel’s Lizzie McGuire; Thursday, July 29
- Mike Zohn on the History of Automata
any many others
GF Newland is a freelance animator and illustrator, guitarist, and a member of several student loan consolidation programs. He is employed by The School of Visual Arts, where he earned a graduate degree in animation.
Trilby Schreiber is a designer and producer of digital media and a professor of digital art and animation at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. She serves as a judge and curator of animation for several festivals, including the Brooklyn International Film Festival and Vienna’s Tricky Women festival, and is on the board of NYC ACM SIGGRAPH and the New Media Committee of the Producers Guild of America.
Calling all animators!
If you have a project, puppet, or golem you want to share as part of the Oxberry Pegs Series, contact organizer GF Newland at email@example.com.